Student Publications The Horizon
The Horizon, Westmont’s newspaper, is published by students each week and features news and views on a variety of issues and topics.
The Horizon is available Tuesday afternoons in several locations, including the post office, the dining commons, and the library. To inquire about contributing to the paper or serving on the staff, contact the editor, Will Walker.
The Horizon is a great way for parents and friends of Westmont to stay connected and get weekly glimpses of life, events, and issues being discussed on campus. A full year subscription is $65 and a semester subscription is $40.
The Westmont community that The Horizon reaches includes 1,200 students, 90 full-time faculty, 210 staff members, and parents and alumni subscribers. Buying a spread on the Horizon pages is a great way to advertise to our many readers.
Questions and submissions can be directed to the Business Manager, Tim Metz, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The deadline for submission and payment is 5 p.m. the Friday before the issue comes out.
- Advertisements may be submitted in the form of a hard copy or via email in JPEG, TIFF, PDF, or PNG formats with a minimum resolution of 300dpi.
- The Horizon will not run ads for alcoholic beverages and tobacco products, movies that appeal to prurient interests, religious doctrine contrary to the stance of the college, or promotions for questionable materials.
- Political advertising may be run only if it is labeled "paid advertisement" and lists the sponsoring organization.
- Federal statues require that advertisement having the appearance of news or editorial material must be labeled "advertisement."
Terms of Payment
- All checks shall be made to "The Horizon."
- All payments must be made in advance.
- A fee of $20 is charged for all ads designed by The Horizon.
Advertising Rates per Issue
|Full Page (10.17" x 13")||B&W
|1/2 Page (10.17" x 6.5")||Horizontal||B&W
|1/4 Page (5.085" x 6.5")||B&W
|1/8 Page (5.085" x 3.25")||Horizontal||B&W
|1/8 Page (3.25" x 5.085")||Vertical||B&W
|Business Card (2" x3.5")||Horizontal||B&W
|Business Card (3.5" x2")||Vertical||B&W
|Classified Ads (75 words maximum)||$21|
Discounts are applied for advertisements placed in consecutive issues.
|number of consecutive issues||discount percentage|
Publication Dates for Fall 2018
|Issue 1||September 11|
|Issue 2||September 18|
|Issue 3||September 25|
|Issue 4||October 2|
|Issue 5||October 23|
|Issue 6||October 29|
|Issue 7||November 6|
|Issue 8||November 13|
|Issue 9||November 20|
|Issue 10||December 4|
Professor Kelsey Lahr
Adjunct Professor of Communication Studies
Business Manager also oversees advertising and subscriptions.
See links above for more info.